Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Photo 365 - Day 45 (Solubility)

Day 45 (August 17th, 2010)
Title: Solubility


Today's picture was a LOT trickier than I thought it would be to take.  The basic concept was; photograph a "solution", such as 'salt + water = saltwater'.  Tried a lot of salt.  Lets just say it was tricky to shoot.  I thought, hey, food coloring into water is also an example of a solution (water is the solvent and the dye is the solute).  This also turned out to be quite a difficult undertaking.  First of all, the dye quickly dilutes completely in the water making it impossible to "shoot" the solubility of the two items.  Second, placing one small drop of dye (or two, or even three!) in a glass of water and trying to shoot it with a macro lens is not fun!  Macro doesn't really work well with a large depth-of-field needed to really get the "waves" and "ebbs" of the dye moving through the water.  Using a normal (prime) lens wouldn't let me really get close enough to accurately show what I pictured in my mind.  After (literally) about 800 shots, I got this one.  It wasn't what I originally had in mind, but after looking at it for a while, I've decided that I quite like it.  So, I can now scratch "solubility" off my science list!  At least, until I can think of a better way to shoot it. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment