Friday, January 28, 2011

Photo 365 - Day 171 (Frosty Paws)

Day 171 (December 21st, 2010)
Title: Frosty Paws

I'm trying something a little different for the next few days.  I visited San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) today, and got to see a lot of interesting art.  While looking at all of the art and photographs, I had a small revelation: one should not become chained to one method of creating art.  For me, this was an important because I've always been of the mindset, when I want to take a "good" picture, I need to use the best camera (well, at least the best camera I own).  To use a "lesser" camera wouldn't make as good a photograph.  Now, while its true that some of the technical aspects of a photograph will be limited based on the camera used, that's been true for photography way before digital was introduced.  A medium format (4x5 inch) negative simply has more 'data' than a 35mm negative.  That doesn't mean the subject matter is any different or that one picture is "worse" because its smaller, its just another tool to be manipulated by the artist.  With that being said, I'm attempting to use my other cameras (point-and-shoot Kodak, small Canon, and my iPhone) to take more than just quick snapshots. 

My first shot that I took is a bit silly.  Have you ever walked down the pet food isle in your local store and noticed that sometimes the packaging on the food looks better than the food you are buying for yourself?  When you look at the box of catfood and it says: "Now made with 7lbs of pure Filet Mignon, two full Lobsters, and a Unicorn horn!" and its got four Michelin Star chefs all preparing the food for the disinterested cat.  I think; "Gosh, that sure looks better than my 'Mac N' Cheeze' ("now with real-like cheeze flavorings!")."  Well, today, while I was shopping at my local Target, I walked by the Ice Cream isle and saw this... Frosty Paws.  Sitting right next to all of the other lovely ice cream goodies.   Frosty Paws, with its cute, little puppy looking at what appears to be a small vanilla ice cream treat.  Right next to the Klondike bars (with their entirely not-as-cute-looking polar bear).  The first clue that made take a second look was the Purina logo on the top left.  That is when I noticed the line "...snacks your dog will LOVE!"  My brain, due to the fact it would not accept that there was such a thing as doggy ice cream, thought: "Why would I give my dog ice cream?!  He probably wouldn't even like it.  Besides, I'm not sharing!"  The real insult is, the Frosty Paws cost more than all the other ice cream!! 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment