Saturday, January 15, 2011

Artist of the Day - Day 14 - Man Ray

Man Ray; Toaster whistles gray boards of light. 

Man Ray.  I almost just want to type a paragraph of just crazy words and I think that might do for a good description of Man Ray (and I bet he would enjoy it).  Man Ray was the father of (or at least Uncle) of modern surrealism.  He used photography (as well as just about any other medium) to create works that were, to put it kindly, created using more dimensions than we can see. 

For me personally, I really like Man Ray’s work, because he really embraced (and in effect, showed me and countless others) that there is no such thing as a “mistake” when creating art.  He used photography and its technology in such a way, that when first perceived it might be seen as a mistake or “wrong”.  He would over develop photos, place objects on the photo paper to alter the image and countless other things that showed art is so much more than just a “Step 1, Step 2, Step 3” process.  It’s more dynamic and random than we can ever know. 

 
Wikipedia
Works by Man Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment