Monday, January 3, 2011

Artist of the Day - Day 3 - Johnny Cash

Johnny Cash; Singer, Writer, Poet, Best Cowboy-Hat-Wear’er Ever.

Now, for those of you who know me, I generally like just about every type of music there is… except country music.  I personally would have never thought I’d put a “country singer” on my artist list, but let’s get one thing straight: Johnny Cash wasn’t just a country singer, he sang from many genres, including blues, folk, rock, and of course country.  When he sang, country or otherwise, it was in such a way that it spoke right to the listener.  With his voice he could ‘drive home’ the songs like no one else could.

I decided to pick Johnny Cash because today I saw the video for “God’s Gonna Cut You Down” (search for it on YouTube, it’s quite good).  It is a song with ties to country, rock, gospel and blues.  When you hear it, it feels like he is talking directly to you.  Anyone who can create a work of art that has an impact like that deserves to on this list – country singer or not.

Wikipedia
Official Website

No comments:

Post a Comment