Sunday, January 16, 2011

Artist of the Day - Day 15 - Edgar Allan Poe

Edgar Allan Poe; Writer, Poet, Raven

Poe is, without a doubt, my favorite American author (followed closely by Mark Twain).  I have been enjoying his works since I was 8 or 9, and still to this day I get a certain joy out of reading him.  He was the first real “mystery and macabre” author – influencing folks like H. P. Lovecraft, Stephen King, and Clive Barker.  He also invented the “detective” genre, and as a fan of Sherlock Holmes, I have yet another reason to love Poe.  The irony is, he really wasn’t that dark of a man (although many people from the time period tried to make it seem like he was).  Along with the mystery and detective stories, he also wrote about science fiction, mathematics (mostly focused on cryptography), humor, and political satire.  Most of his works are short stories or poems, so if you have a few spare moments, take a look at one (or more), I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.  Unless you’re a Raven… in which case… “AHHH!!!!”


 
Wikipedia
Works of Edgar Allan Poe at Project Gutenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment