Thursday, February 24, 2011

Photo 365 - Day 193 (Kaleidoscope Portrait)

Day 193 (January 12th, 2011)
Title: Kaleidoscope Portrait

If I had to pick one area in photography that I feel I've avoided, it would be portrait photography.  Mostly, because people are a bit crazy.  When taking a picture of a leaf, you never hear: "Ahh!  Don't make my nose look to big!  Is this my 'good' side?!"  The leaf just sits there.  So, for some reason I've always put off take shots of people.  That's not to say I don't want to take pictures of folks, it just really hasn't come up before. 

While I was playing around with some other techniques, I decided to take some kaleidoscope photos and why not get some portraits while I was at it!  Kaleidoscope photos are pretty simple really - take a black piece of card stock or paper, poke a lot of tiny holes in it and tape it (or otherwise secure it) to the front of your lens.  In essence, it makes your camera a multi-pinhole camera.  As for the settings (f-stop and shutter speed), its all guesswork to be honest.  Most of the time, the shots are just strange blurry blobs, but sometimes you can get something neat.  This is one of the neat ones.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment