Monday, October 11, 2010

Photo 365 - Day 91 (Blackbird)

Day 91 (October 2nd, 2010)
Title: Blackbird

With my birthday fast approaching (ahh!  35!), I am reminded of a gift I was given by my grandmother on my first birthday.  She gave me a large book of Mother Goose nursery rhymes.  It was a British edition and had crazy drawings and art, as well as some very confusing rhymes.  I remember a few of them (as I am sure many of you do), but one that always stuck in my head (both due to the lyrics and the art) was a poem called: "Sing a song of sixpence"

It goes:

Sing a song of sixpence,
A pocket full of rye
Four and twenty blackbirds
Baked in a pie.

When the pie was opened,
The birds began to sing
Was not a dainty dish
To set before the king?

The king was in his counting-house
Counting out his money,
The queen was in the parlor
Eating bread and honey.

The maid was in the garden
Hanging out the clothes,
When along came a blackbird
And pecked off her nose.

Clearly Ms. Goose was totally nuts.  Still, she lived in a shoe, so perhaps she just got high off the smell of the odor-eaters. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment